Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle


Having been born in 1977, I wasn’t around when my older brother and sister owned the home version of Pong. Shortly after I was born, however, they received an Atari 2600. Also known as the Atari VCS, the 2600 set a new standard for home video game consoles by implementing interchangeable cartridges with games that can be purchased at retail stores. A new business model was born and the Second Generation of Video Games hit the US market.

I don’t remember the Atari too much. It was close to being obsolete when, sometime in 1982, my parents brought home a Colecovision.

Coleco (aka the Connecticut Leather Company) found great success a year later in 1983 with their famous line of freaky-looking dolls called Cabbage Patch Kids. Of course , it was the Colecovision I remembered most fondly. The Colecovision had far superior graphics than the Atari. Many of the games were completely faithful to their arcade counterparts. Two examples were Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. Actually, I only remembering owning 3 games for the Colecovision, and those were two of them. The other is one I played over and over again for a couple of years. It‘s probably my favorite game from before the NES days—Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle.

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle should probably be considered one of the first platformers. The goal was to move from left to right, encountering new screens where the only challenge was to jump over an objects like picket fences, tall grass, stalagmites, and spiders; all while occasionally ducking from the flight path of evil crows and bats. After about 7 or 8 screens filled with these obstacles, you reach a screen where Smurfette is standing on a table. The video game iteration of Gargamel, who is never seen, is apparently even more stupid than the cartoon version because he leaves a perfectly-sized skull next to the table, allowing any average smurf to reach Smurfette. Jump up on the skull, then on the table, and that’s it.

I’m not shitting you when I tell you that you can see everything this game has to offer in 2 minutes. The screen shots I posted here comprise about 30% of the total game. I must have really sucked at video games as a kid because I remember this game to be fairly challenging.

I just found a video of this game on youtube. Now I feel even worse for thinking this game provided even a modicum of challenge. In the video, the guy beats the game in only 1 minute and 40 seconds!

I had kept this old Colecovision, including the games, safely in my bedroom closet till around 1995 when it mysteriously vanished. I can only assume my dad went into my closet and took out a bunch of toys to give to a less fortunate family. At least I still have my old NES.

2 comments:

marso78 said...

Hahaha this game looks hilarious. Well back then I am sure this game was challenging because our exposure to other video games was limited. Nowadays with the advancement in technology and games, the quests are much more difficult so our mind is capable of solving the easy games from back then, lol.

Mr. Mark said...

This blog now allows anonymous comments.
If you created a profile to make a comment, then you should know that you now have access to a bunch of google tools, including Blogger, Gmail, and Google Reader, among others.