Monday, September 17, 2007

"Why are you doing this?"

As I approach 30 and suffer failed relationship after failed relationship, I've become less and less concerned with what's socially acceptable for a single, young professional in his late 20's/early 30's. I've begun to look within and spend more time enthusiastically following my own interests without any regard for how it might hurt my dating prospects.

What I'm trying to convey is that I'd like to pretend that it's a normal and well-adjusted thing for a guy my age to be completely enveloped in video game subculture, sometimes at the sacrifice of my social life. Oh sure, you might think it's completely normal, but that's because you probably share my enthusiasm for gaming. Trust me--it doesn't go over so well when an attractive woman my age asks me what my interests are and the answer is "I like to play video games."

It's not that my ex-girlfriends haven't been supportive of my pastimes. Most women that get involved with me know that I lean a bit over on the geeky side, with my love of toys, Star Wars, and games. It's just that when I go to "business networking" events for work, I find that everybody is more interested in talking about real estate, insurance rates, or wine collecting than anything that geeky. Occasionally there's some tech stuff people talk about, but those discussions are usually in the context of how the said technology applies to real estate, insurance rates, or wine collecting. The more I try to relate to my peers at these yuppie meetings, the more I feel dissatisfied with business and the more I think that I should pursue a game-related career.

Which leads me to this blog. Whether I can make any money out of it or not, I want to share my interest in video games with others. I'd rather focus on older games that hold a cherished place in my memory instead of discussing the obvious blockbuster hits. I've been blogging for years on a wide variety of subjects, so let's see if I can stay on track. Many thanks to you for taking the time to visit this page. I always welcome comments, no matter how irreverent they seem.

No comments: